Satya Prathyusha Bhamidimarri received her Bachelor of Technology (B. Tech) degree in Biotechnology from one of the premier institutes in India, National Institute of Technology Warangal (http://www.nitw.ac.in/main/; http://www.nitw.ac.in/department/bt/Alumni-Achievements/) in 2011. As an undergraduate, she was selected for DAAD WISE Fellowship for a period of nearly 3 months in 2010 (May-July 2010) as an exchange program where she did work in the lab of Prof. Martin Kos (http://bzh.db-engine.de/default.asp?lfn=2241&fg=3888) in Heidelberg University Biochemistry Center in the area of Ribosomal Biogenesis and dealt with basic micro biology and molecular biology techniques. As part of Bachelor thesis, she worked on Microbial biotransformation of Artemisinin from Arteannuin B which is used in the treatment of Malaria from plant extracts by isolating various soil micro-organisms which was a very successful project and laid foundation for research career. Along with academics, several other extra- curricular activities include secretary of Institute Alumni Association and and India’s Society for the Promotion of Indian Classical Music and Culture Amongst Youth (SPIC MACAY) and served as organizer for conferences and executive member of Technical Association of Biotechnology Department in addition to Innovation and Entrepreneur club, Nature club, Photography club.
Later on she worked as a Junior Research Fellow in the area of Protein synthesis, translation initiation and elongation and post translational modifications on ribsomes in Prokaryotes in Asia’s premier research institute, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India under Prof. Umesh Varshney (http://www.mcbl.iisc.ernet.in/Varshney/research.html) from 2011 – 2012 (for about 16 months) where she learnt strain generation, protein purification, crude extracts and several other micro biology and biochemistry assays for the detection of small changes in the protein expression among variants.
Her research interests and passion towards antibiotic and protein research encouraged her to apply for Marie Sklodowska Curie ITN Translocation Project, “Molecular basis of Antibiotic Translocation” under Prof. Dr. Mathias Winterhalter at Jacobs University Bremen as a doctoral candidate. Currently she is in the final year of her PhD. Her work focusses on understanding the basic characterization of proteins involved in the outer membrane that form permeable channels for different compounds using Electrophysiology as a major technique among others.
ITN Translocation Project gave an opportunity to visit different labs understand various techniques and to reach for a conclusion which provides an overview with a much wider outlook for any scientific question that was confronted and also gain exposure by attending various international conferences such as Biophysical Society meetings and present my ongoing research. Among various other works presented at different levels, was recipient of Student Research Achievement Award 2015 at 59th Annual Biophysics Meeting held at Baltimore, United States.
Located in an intense collaborative research and networking project I have augmented my research skills which include various inter disciplinary fields as well as managerial skills and thriving to establish a career in research.
Contact: email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org
ITN Project: Antibiotic Translocation
- Structural basis for nutrient acquisition by dominant members of the human gut microbiota
Amy J. Glenwright, Karunakar R. Pothula, Satya P. Bhamidimarri, Dror S. Chorev, Arnaud Baslé ,Susan J. Firbank, Hongjun Zheng, Carol V. Robinson, Mathias Winterhalter, Ulrich Kleinekathöfer, David N. Bolam, Bert van den Berg. Nature (2017), doi:10.1038/nature20828.
- Large-Conductance Transmembrane Porin Made from DNA Origami Gopfrich, K., Li, C.Y., Ricci, M., Bhamidimarri, S.P., Yoo, J., Gyenes, B., Ohmann, A., Winterhalter, M., Aksimentiev, A., Keyser, U.F., 2016.. ACS nano 10, 8207-8214.
- Ion Channels Made from a Single Membrane-Spanning DNA Duplex Gopfrich, K., Li, C.Y., Mames, I., Bhamidimarri, S.P., Ricci, M., Yoo, J., Mames, A., Ohmann, A., Winterhalter, M., Stulz, E., Aksimentiev, A., Keyser, U.F., 2016.. Nano letters 16, 4665-4669.
- Role of Electroosmosis in the Permeation of Neutral Molecules: CymA and Cyclodextrin as an Example
Bhamidimarri, S.P., Prajapati, J.D., van den Berg, B., Winterhalter, M., Kleinekathofer, U., 2016.. Biophysical journal 110, 600-611.
- Structural Insights into Outer Membrane Permeability of Acinetobacter baumannii. Zahn, M., Bhamidimarri, S.P., Basle, A., Winterhalter, M., van den Berg, B., 2016. Structure 24, 221-231.
- Crystal structure of a COG4313 outer membrane channel. Van den Berg, Bhamidimarri SP, WinterhalterM. Scientific reports 5, 11927 (2015)10.1038/srep11927).
- Outer-membrane translocation of bulky small molecules by passive diffusion. Van den Berg B, Prathyusha Bhamidimarri S, Dahyabhai Prajapati J, Kleinekathöfer U, & Winterhalter M. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 112(23), E2991-E2999. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1424835112.